Our translator in Kherson, Ukraine, was trying to communicate the conference leader's wishes to our mission team. The best we could decipher was that she wanted to hold the Scripture equivalent of a spelling bee.
When our mission team debriefed that evening we sadly agreed that if we competed in a Scripture Bee, it would be a brief contest.
One reason our Ukrainian friends consider God’s Word to be precious is because when their country was under communist rule it was not unusual for an entire village to share a single copy of the Bible. So they hid the Word of God in their hearts and now it flows naturally from both their lips and their lives.
Surely that’s what God has in mind for all of us. Deuteronomy 6:6-8 says, These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
How might those verses be "translated" today? Here are a few ideas:
- Use Scripture references as computer passwords. Each time you type Romans828, for example, you’ll be reminded that God is working all things together for your good.
- Text Scripture verses.
- Post a “Word of the Day” from the Bible on your facebook page.
- Stuck in traffic? See how many Scriptures you can quote alphabetically: All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, Bear one another’s burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ...
- Personalize Scripture by inserting your name: “For God so loved Sherry that he gave….”
- Host a Pizza and Parables Party. Gather in groups and come up with creative ways to express the truths of a parable. Discuss what you learned while munching pizza.
- Sing God’s Word.
- Learn Scripture by beat. Follow this link to view an example: Proverbs 3:5, 6
- What are your ideas? Share your favorite in the comments section below.
If you'd like to see some of the Scripture Bee described in this post, click here.
Kim serves as a missionary/advocate for homeless elderly in Romania through Elder Orphan Care. She brags on God each week at her Wow Dee Wow! blog. Kim prays that her brief stories recounting God's amazing ways will inspire and challenge you to brag on God, too!
To subscribe to Wow Dee Wow! click HERE.